Friday 6 May 2016

Will

  • Will is a modal auxiliary verb. It is followed by an infinitive without to. There is no –s in the third person singular. She will come. (NOT She wills come.)
  • I will do it.
Questions and negatives are made without do.
  • Will you come with me? (NOT Do you will …)
  • I will not let him go.

Uses

To express simple futurity
Will is used to talk about future events that you are certain about or things that are planned.
  • Ann will be 10 years old next month. 
  • There will be trouble if he catches you stealing his flowers. 
  • The train leaves at 9:30, so we will be home by lunchtime. 
To talk about willingness
Will shows determination or willingness on the part of the speaker.
  • I will come with you. 
  • There is the doorbell. I will go. 
  • We will not surrender.
Will can also express a promise or a threat.
  • I will do whatever I can to help you.
  • I will teach him a lesson.
  • We will dismiss you from service.
To ask someone to do something
Will can be used to ask someone to do something.
  • Ask John if he will help. 
  • Will you lend me some money? 
  • Will you give the book to John when you meet him? 
To make requests and offers
Will can be used as a polite way of inviting someone to do something or of offering someone something. Note that would is a more polite form of will.
  • Will you join us for a drink? 
  • Will you send me the report?
Won’t you is used to make a pressing offer.
  • You will have some coffee, won't you? 
To give orders
Will can be used in orders.
  • Will you be quiet? 
  • If you don't behave, you will go straight to bed. 
To talk about possibility
Will can show possibility.

  • ‘There is the doorbell.’ ‘That will be Sita.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.