Friday 6 May 2016

Would

Would is a modal auxiliary verb. There is no -s in the third person singular. Would is followed by an infinitive without to.
  • He said he would try his best to help me.
  • I would like to know what my duty is.
  • The doctor said he would visit the patient.
Questions and negatives are made without do.
  • Would you like some coffee? (NOT Do you would like …)
Would and Will
Would is a softer, less definite form of will. It is used in polite requests and offers.
  • I would like to meet him.
Would can act as the past of will in indirect speech.
  • She said, ‘I will not live here anymore.’
  • She said that she would not live there anymore.

Would: Uses

To make polite offers and requests
Would is often used in polite requests and offers. It is a softer, less definite form of will.
  • Would you mind moving a bit?
  • Would you mind sharing a room?
  • I would like to meet the manager.
Would can also be used to express an opinion in a more polite way without being forceful.
  • This is not what we would expect from a professional service.
To talk about past habits
Would can be used to talk about past events that happened often or always.
  • He would always bring us nice gifts without telling why. 
  • The old man would recline in a corner and sleep most of the time. 
  • After dinner we would sit in a common room and chat for a while. 
Would is often used to suggest that what happens is expected because it is typical, especially of a person's behaviour.
  • She would always trust the wrong person. 
  • 'Ann rang to say that she was too busy to come.' 'She would - she always has an excuse.' 
To talk about willingness and determination
Would can express willingness or a rather perverse determination.
  • He said he would try his best to help me. (Willingness) 
  • He would bet on that horse, though I asked him not to. (Determination) 
  • She would have her own way.
Wouldn't shows unwillingness.
  • I asked him to move his car, but he said he wouldn’t. 
To talk about imaginary situations
Would is sometimes used to refer to a situation that you can imagine happening.
  • I would hate to miss the show. 
  • I would go myself but I am too busy. 
  • It would have been quite boring to sit through the entire speech.
Would and used to
Both would and used to can refer to repeated actions and events in the past.
  • She would/used to always carry an umbrella.
Note that used to can refer to past states; would cannot.
  • I used to have an old Rolls Royce. (NOT I would have …)
Would rather
Would rather expresses choice or preference.

  • She would rather die than marry him.
  • They would rather go to jail than pay the fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.