Friday 1 April 2016

The complex sentence: relative pronouns and clauses


Relative pronouns and clauses
Introduction to relative clauses

Suppose you want to write a paragraph like this:
The house we moved into is absolutely beautiful. The people who lived here before us took very great care of it. The garden, which is quite small, is lovely. I'm glad we moved. I don't think we'll ever regret the decision we made.
If we want to speak or write like this, we have to master relative clauses. We introduce relative clauses with these relative pronouns: who, who(m), which, that and whose.
'Who', 'which' and 'that' as subjects of a relative clause:

1) We use who or that to refer to people. We use them in place of noun subjects or pronoun subjects (I, you, he, etc.) and we cannot omit them.
They do not change when they refer to masculine, feminine, singular or plural:
He is the man/She is the woman who/that lives here. (Not 'He is the man who he ... *)
They are the men/the women who/that live here. (Not *They are the men who they ... *)

2) We use which or that (in place of noun subjects and it) to refer to animals and things:
That's the cat which/that lives next door. Those are the cats which/that live next door.
Here is a photo which/that shows my car. Here are some photos which/that show my car.



Write: Join these sentences using who or which. (All of them will also join with that.)

   1)   He's the accountant. He does my accounts…..
….. He's the accountant who does my accounts…
   2)   She's the nurse. She looked after me. ...................................................................................
   3)   They're the postcards. They arrived yesterday… ..................................................................................
   4)   They're the secretaries. They work in our office… ................................................................................
   5)   That's the magazine. It arrived this morning. ...................................................................................
   6)   They're the workmen. They repaired our roof. ....................................................................................


‘Who (m)', 'which' and 'that' as objects of a relative clause

1) We use who (m) or that to refer to people. We use them in place of noun objects or object pronouns (me, you, him, etc.). We often say who instead of whom when we speak.
They do not change when they refer to masculine, feminine, singular or plural:
He's the man/She's the woman who (m)/that I met. (Not 'He's the man that I met him. *)
They're the men/women who (m)/that I met. (Not 'They are the men that I met them. *)
However, we usually omit who (m) and that. We say:
He's the man/She is the woman I met. They're the men/they're the women I met.

2) We use which or that (in place of noun objects or it) to refer to animals and things:
That's the cat which/that I photographed. Those are the cats which/that I photographed.
That's the photo which/that I took. Those are the photos which/that I took.
However, we usually omit which and that. We say:
That's the cat I photographed. Those are the cats I photographed.
That's the photo I took. Those are the photos I took.


Write: Join these sentences with who(m), which or nothing. (All of them will join with that.)

   1)      He's the accountant. You recommended him to me….
…. He's the accountant you recommended…
   2)      She's the nurse. I saw her at the hospital. ........................................................................................
   3)      They're the postcards. I sent them from Spain. ................................................................................
   4)      They're the secretaries. Mr Pym employed them. ............................................................................
   5)      That's the magazine. I got it for you yesterday. ................................................................................
   6)      They're the workmen. I paid them for the job. ...................................................................................
   7)      That's the dog! I saw it at the dog show last week. ...........................................................................
   8)      They're the birds. I fed them this morning. ........................................................................................



‘Who (m)', 'which' or 'that' as the objects of prepositions

The position of prepositions in relative clauses is very important. We can say:

   1)       He is the person to whom I wrote. (Never 'to who) (very formal)
This is the pan in which I boiled the milk. (very formal)

   2)      He is the person who (m) I wrote to. This is the pan which I boiled the milk in.

   3)      However, we usually prefer to omit the relative and say:

He is the person I wrote to. This is the pan I boiled the milk in.


Example: Joining pair of sentence in three different ways.

He's the man. I sent the money to him.
   a)      He’s the man to whom I sent the money.
   b)      He’s the man who (m) I sent the money to.

   c)      He’s the man I sent the money to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.