Friday 1 April 2016

'One' and 'ones' in place of countable nouns: 'Use this clean one'



   1)       We can't use an adjective on its own in place of a singular countable noun. We must use a noun after an adjective or we must use one to avoid repeating the noun:
Don't use that cloth. Use this clean one. (Not 'Use this clean. ')

   2)       We use ones to avoid repeating a plural countable noun:
I don't want to wear my old shoes. I want to wear my new ones. (Not 'wear my new')

   3)       We can use one and ones for people as well as things:
Do you know John Smith/Jane Smith? - Is he/she the one who phoned last night?
Do you know the Smiths? - Are they the ones who used to live in this house?

   4)     We do not use one in place of an uncountable noun. We repeat the noun or use no noun at all:
Don’t use that milk. Use this fresh milk. Or: Use this fresh. (Not *this fresh one*)



Write: Supply one or ones where necessary.
1 Have you met our new secretary? - Is she the …one…who joined us last week?
2 You know the man I mean, the .........................................who lent you •’50.
3 Which actresses did you meet? - The........................................who appeared in Act 1.
4 Here are your stamps. These are the .........................................you paid for.
5 Which computer did you use? - The .........................................that is in your office.
6 The children I like to teach are the.........................................who like to learn.
7 Pour away that dirty water and get some clean.........................................
8 If I were you, I'd sell that old car and buy a new.........................................



'Which one(s)?' - 'This/that (one)', etc.

   1)       We use one/ones to refer to people and things after Which?, this/that and adjectives:
Which one would you like? This one or that one? - I'd like the large one/the red one.
We can also say Which would you like? This or that?

   2)       We sometimes omit one and ones after superlatives and in short answers:
Which one/ones would you like? - I'd like the best (one/ones).
Which one/ones would you like? - The large/the red.

   3)       We usually avoid ones after these/those: I want these. I want those. (Not 'these ones*)

   4)       We normally use one/ones after this/that/these/those + adjective:
I want this/that white one. I want these/those white ones.

   5)     We cannot omit one/ones in structures like: Which woman? - The one in the green dress.


Write:
a Supply one or ones.
b Put a tick beside the sentences where one/ones could be omitted.
1 Which gloves would you like to see? - The........ W ......... in the window.
2 Which shoes fit you best? - The large........................
3 Which pullover do you prefer? -The red........................
4 Which jeans are you going to buy? - The most expensive........................
5 Please pass me that plate. - Which........................?
6 Two of those coats suit you very well. - Which........................?
7 I'd like to test-drive one of these two cars. -This ........................ or that.........................?
8 I'd like to see some rings, please. -These ........................ in silver or those ........................ in gold?
9 I'd like to try one of these shirts. Please pass me that white........................

10 I think, on the whole, I prefer these yellow........................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.