Friday 1 April 2016

The complex sentence: noun clauses


Introduction to complex sentences
1) We can join two or more simple sentences to make complex sentences:
The alarm was raised. The fire was discovered.
The alarm was raised as soon as the fire was discovered.
The alarm was raised when the fire was discovered.
The alarm was raised after the fire was discovered.

2) We can use many different kinds of 'joining words' (or conjunctions) to make complex sentences: after, as soon as, when, since, that, if, so that, whether, etc.

3) In a complex sentence there is one 'main' idea and one or more 'subordinate' ideas.
We can take the main idea (or clause) out of the sentence so that it stands on its own:
The alarm was raised is a main clause: it can stand on its own. ... as soon as the fire was discovered cannot stand on its own. It is subordinate to the main clause.


Write: Underline the main clauses in these sentences.

   1)       You can tell me all about the film after I've seen it myself.
   2)       When you've finished cleaning the car, you can help me with the dishes.
   3)       You didn't tell me that you were going to invite so many guests.
   4)       I walk to work every morning so that I can get some exercise.
   5)       Since no one answered my call, I left a message on the answer-phone.



Noun clauses derived from statements

1) A noun clause does the work of a noun. It answers the questions Who? or What?:
He told me about his success. (told me about what?): his success is a 'noun phrase'.
He told me that he had succeeded. (... what?): that he had succeeded is a noun clause.

2) We introduce noun clause statements with that after:
- some adjectives: It's obvious that he's going to be late.
-some nouns: It's a pity that he's going to be late.
- some verbs: I know that he's going to be late.

3) We often use noun clauses after 'reporting verbs' like say, tell (me), think, know. We can often omit that.
Instead of: 1 know that he's going to be late, we can say: I know he's going to be late.


Write: Complete these sentences with noun clauses.

   1)       He feels angry. It's not surprising.
.........(that) he feels angry........................................................................
   2)       She has resigned from her job. It's a shame .......................................................................................................
   3)       You don't trust me. It's annoying ........................................................................................................
   4)       You are feeling better. I'm glad .........................................................................................................
   5)       She's upset. I'm sorry .......................................................................................................
   6)       He didn't get the contract. He told me ........................................................................................................
   7)       It's a fair price. He believes .........................................................................................................
   8)       You're leaving. He has guessed .........................................................................................................
   9)       She's been a fool. She agrees ........................................................................................................



Noun clauses derived from questions

Yes /No questions
Has he signed the contract? is a direct Yes/No question.
We can introduce a Yes/No question as a noun clause after if or whether. We use 'reporting verbs' like ask, tell me, want to know:
Tell me if he has signed the contract. (Tell me what?): if he has signed the contract.
Ask him whether he has signed it. (Ask him what?): whether he has signed it.
Question-word questions
When did you sign the contract? is a question-word question.
We can introduce this as a noun clause after Tell me, I want to know, etc. The word order changes back to subject + verb and we don't use a question mark :
Tell me when you signed the contract. (Not 'Tell me when did you sign')


Write: Complete these sentences with noun clauses.

   1)      Has he passed his exam? I want to know...
……if/whether he has passed his exam….
   2)      Can you type? You didn't say .............................................................................................................
   3)      Will he arrive tomorrow? I wonder ......................................................................................................
   4)      Does he like ice-cream? Ask him .......................................................................................................
   5)      Was he at home yesterday? I'd like to know ......................................................................................
   6)      Should I phone her? I wonder .............................................................................................................
   7)      Is she ready? Ask her .........................................................................................................................
   8)      When did you meet her? I want to know .............................................................................................
   9)      How will you manage? Tell me ...........................................................................................................
   10)  Why has he left? I wonder ..................................................................................................................
   11)  Where do you live? Tell me
 ............................................................................... .... .............
   12)  Which one do& she want3.Ask her ...................................................................................................
   13)  Who's at the door? I wonder ...............................................................................................................

   14)  What does he want? I'd like to know ................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.