Friday 1 April 2016

The simple sentence: direct and indirect objects


Subject + verb + indirect object + direct object: 'Show me that photo'
1) We can use two objects after verbs like give and buy.
Instead of: Give the book to me, we can say: Give me the book.
lnstead of: Buy the book for me, we can say: Buy me the book.

2) Some verbs combine with TO: bring, give, lend, pay, post, sell, send, show, tell, write:
Bring that book to me. -, Bring me that book.

3) Other verbs combine with FOR: buy, choose, cook, cut, do, fetch, find, get, make, order:
Please order a meal for me. -, Please order me a meal.

4) We can put it and them after the verb: Give it to me. Buy them for me. Do it for me.
With e.g. give and buy, we can say: Give me it. Buy me them. (But not 'Do me it')
We say: Give it to John. Buy them for John. (Not *Give John it4*Buy John them')

Write:
You want people to do things for you. Write suitable polite requests using it, them or one.

   1)       Where are my shoes? (find) Please ...find them for me│ Please find me them……
   2)       John needs a new coat. (buy) Please ........................ ........ ................................................................
   3)       I can’t reach that cup. (pass) Please .................... : ...........................................................................
   4)       Ann wants to see our flat. (show) Please .........................................................................................
   5)       I can't do the shopping. (do) Please ..................................................................................................
   6)      I'd like a copy of that book. (order) Please ...................................................................................

Verb + object + 'to' + noun or pronoun: 'Explain it to me'
1) There are some verbs like explain which do not behave in exactly the same way as give.
For example, we can say: Give the book to me, or Explain the situation to me.
Give me the book. (but not 'Explain me the situation. ')

2) We cannot use an indirect object (me) immediately after explain. We can only have:
verb + object + 'to': He explained the situation to me.
He confessed his crime to the court.

3) Other verbs like explain and confess are: admit, announce, declare, demonstrate, describe,
entrust, introduce, mention, propose, prove, repeat, report, say, suggest.

Write: Complete these sentences giving the right order of the words in brackets.

   1)       You must declare (the Customs/this camera)  ….  this camera to the Customs......................
   2)       Aren't you going to introduce (me/your friend)?...............................................................................
   3)       You can say (me/what you like) ..........................................................................................................
   4)       Who suggested (this idea/you)? .........................................................................................................
   5)       He confessed (his crime/the police) ....................................................................................................
   6)       1 have never admitted (anyone/this) ...................................................................................................
   7)       Can you describe (me/this man)? .......................................................................................................
   8)       Please don't mention (this/anyone) ....................................................................................................
   9)       I'm going to report (this/the headmaster) ............................................................................................
   10)   I don't want you to repeat (what I told you/anyone) ............................................................................

The two meanings of 'for'
1) We can use for after all verbs which have two objects.

2) When we use for after verbs normally followed by to (give, post, read, sell, show, tell, etc.) it can mean 'instead of': 1'11post it for you. (= to save you the trouble)

3) When we use for after verbs normally followed by for (buy, choose, do, find, keep, order, etc.) the meaning depends on the context. It can mean 'for someone's benefit':
Mother cooked a lovely meal for me. (= for my benefit, for me to enjoy)
It can mean 'on someone's behalf /instead of':

1'11 cook the dinner for you. (on your behalf/instead of you -to save you the trouble)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.