Friday 1 April 2016

The sentence Sentence word order

The basic word order of an English sentence
The meaning of an English sentence depends on the word order.

1. We put the subject before the verb and the object after the verb:
The cook I burnt I the dinner.

2. Adverbials (How?, Where?, When?) usually come after the verb or after the object:
He read the note quickly. (How?) I waited at the corner (Where?) till 11.30. (When?)

3. The basic word order of a sentence that is not a question or a command is usually:

subject + verb + object + adverbials

                                           How? Where? When?
I bought a hat yesterday.
The children have gone home.
We ate our meal in silence.
4. We also put the time reference at the beginning: Yesterday I bought a hat.

Write :

Rewrite the sentences that don't make sense.
Mark all the sentences in the exercise S V O to show Subject, Verb, Object.

   a)      Has set John Bailey a new high-jump record….. (S) John Bailey (V) has set (O) a new high-jump record…. 

   b)     The passport examined the passport officer. ......................................................................................
   c)      These biscuits don't like the dogs. ......................................................................................................
   d)     The shop assistant is wrapping the parcel. .........................................................................................
   e)      Have seen the visitors the new buildings. ...........................................................................................
   f)       My father didn't wash the dishes. .......................................................................................................
   g)      The pipe is going to fix the plumber. ...................................................................................................
  h)     Will the goalkeeper catch the ball? .....................................................................................................
   i)        Has the meal enjoyed the guest? .......................................................................................................

The forms of a sentence
1) A sentence can take any one of four forms:
- a statement: The shops close/don’t close at 7 tonight.
- a question: Do the shops close at 7 tonight?
- a command: Shut the door./Don’t shut the door.
-an exclamation: What a slow train this is!

2) When we write a sentence, we must begin with a capital letter and end with a full stop (.), a question mark (?), or an exclamation mark (!).
If there are quotations marks around spoken words in a sentence, we put other punctuation marks inside them:
‘I’m tired, ‘she said. (Not ‘I’m tired’, she said.)

Write:
a Arrange these groups of words in the right order. Add (.), (?) or (!).
b Describe each sentence as a statement, question, command or exclamation: S, Q, C or E.
   1)       the coffee I don't spill...... Don’t spill the coffee .......................................................(c)
   2)       today's papers I have you seen................................................................................... ( )
   3)       to meet you I how nice............................................................................................... ( )
   4)       my umbrella I where did you put............................................................................. ..( )
   5)       arrived I the train I fifteen minutes late...................................................................... ( )
   6)       on time the plane I won't arrive.................................................................................. ( )
   7)       this electricity bill I I can't pay.................................................................................. ( )
   8)       for me I please I open the door................................................................................... ( )
   9)       the nearest hotel I where's I he asked........................................................................ (  )


Context
Write: Read this story and arrange the words in each sentence in the right order.
Add capital letters and (,), (.), (!) or (?) in the right places.
A QUIET SORT OF PLACE!
   1)       my car I I parked I in the centre of the village
….I parked my car in the centre of the village.
   2)       near a bus stop I an old man I I saw ...................................................................................................
   3)       'beautiful village I what a' I I exclaimed ...............................................................................................
   4)       'live here I how many people' ..............................................................................................................
   5)       'seventeen people I there are' I the old man said ...............................................................................
   6)       'here I have you lived I how long' ........................................................................................................
   7)       'all my life I I have lived here' ..............................................................................................................
   8)       'isn't it I it's a quiet sort of place' .........................................................................................................
   9)       'here I a quiet life I we live ...................................................................................................................
   10)   a cinema I we don't have I or a theatre ...............................................................................................
   11)   our school I five years ago I was closed .............................................................................................
   12)   only one shop I we have ....................................................................................................................
   13)   calls I a bus I once a day ....................................................................................................................

   14)   here I in 55 B.C. I came I the Romans ................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.