Monday 2 May 2016

Adverbs of Time and Definite Frequency

Adverbs of time and definite frequency tell us when something happens.
Examples are: today, yesterday, later, now, all day, not long, for a while, since, last year, sometimes, frequently, never, often, yearly etc.
  • I shall go there tomorrow. 
  • You must get up early. 
  • I have seen him before. 
  • Let us start now. 
Position
Most of them go in end position.
  • I met him yesterday. 
  • He died last year. 
  • They are leaving for England tomorrow. 
  • He visits us daily. 
  • I haven't seen him lately. 
Initial position is also common.
  • Yesterday I met him. 
  • Tomorrow I am leaving for the US. 
Exceptions
Finally, already, soon, and last can also go in mid position.
  • She has finally got a job. 
  • They soon realized their mistake. 
Still and just can only go in mid position.
  • I just asked. 
  • He is still working for the same firm. 

Note that a mid position adverb is placed after the auxiliary verbs and before other verbs. When there are two auxiliary verbs, the adverb normally comes after the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.