Monday 2 May 2016

Comparison using comparative adjectives and adverbs

To say that people, things etc are unequal in a particular way, we can use comparative adjectives/adverbs.
·         She is older than me.
·         Tom is taller than his brothers.
·         Iron is more useful than any other metal.
·         He is cleverer than her.
In an informal style, object pronouns are used after than. In a more formal style, subject pronouns are used usually with verbs.
·         He is cleverer than she is.
·         He earns more than I do.
We can use double comparatives (--er and --er or more and more --) to say that something is changing.
·         You are getting fatter and fatter.
·         We are going more and more slowly.
The + comparative expression + subject + verb
We can use comparatives with the -- the -- to say that things change or vary together. Note the word order in both clauses.
·         The more I study, the less I learn. (NOT -- I learn the less.)
·         The older I get, the happier I am. (NOT -- I am the happier.)
More can be used with a noun in this structure.
·         The more money he makes, the more useless things he buys.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.