Monday 2 May 2016

The type 2 conditional

Here we use a simple past in the if-clause and would + infinitive (bare form of the verb) in the result clause.
§  If you asked, they would help you.
§  If it rained, you would get wet. 
§  If you loved her, she would love you. 
§  If I had more money, I would buy a new car. 
§  If he studied more, he would pass the exam. 
§  If I were the President, I would lower taxes. 
The type 2 conditional refers to present and future situations. It is used to talk about unreal - impossible, improbable or imaginary - situations. It refers to an unlikely or hypothetical condition and its probable result.

Type 1 or type 2 - What to use?

Real and imaginary situations
The type 1 conditional is often called the real conditional. It is used for real and possible situations. The type 2 conditional is used for unreal - impossible, improbable or imaginary - situations.
Compare:
§  If I become the President, I will give free electricity to farmers. (Said by a candidate, who may win the election - Type 1) 
§  If I win this race, I will... (- Said by the fastest runner - Type 1) 
§  If I became the President, I would give free electricity to farmers. (Said by a child - Type 2) 
§  If I won this race, I would... (- Said by the slowest runner - Type 2) 
Direct requests and suggestions
In direct request or suggestions we use type 1 conditional. To make a request or suggestion more polite, we use type 2 conditional.
Compare:
§  I will be grateful if you lend me some money. (direct request - Type 1) 
§  It will be nice if you help me. (direct request - Type 1) 
§  It would be nice if you helped me. (less direct, more polite request - Type 2) 
§  I would be grateful if you lent me some money. (more polite request - Type 2)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.