Monday 2 May 2016

Subordinating Conjunctions

A subordinating conjunction joins a clause to another on which it depends for its full meaning. Clauses that follow subordinating conjunctions are called subordinate clauses.

Examples of subordinating conjunctions are: after, because, if, that, though, although, till, before, unless, as, when, where, while etc.
  • As he was not there I left a message with his mother.
  • Answer the first question before you proceed further.
  • I have not seen him since he was a boy.
  • I must go now as I have some work to do.
  • I think that he is trustworthy.
A subordinating conjunction together with its following clause acts like a part of the other clause.
  • I will phone you when I arrive.
  • I will phone you tomorrow.
The clause when I arrive is similar to tomorrow – it acts like an adverb in the clause I will phone you...
  • He told me that he loved me.
  • He told me a story.
The clause that he loved me is similar to a story – it acts like the object in the clause He told me …
Position of subordinate clauses
Adverbial subordinating conjunctions and their clauses can go either at the beginning or end of sentences (depending on what is to be emphasized).
  • You will pass if you work hard.
  • If you work hard, you will pass.
  • As he was not ready, we went without him.
  • We went without him as he was not ready.
  • When I am late, my father takes me to school.
  • My father takes me to school when I am late.
  • He works hard though he is weak.
  • Though he is weak, he works hard.
Note that when a subordinate clause begins a sentence it is more often separated by a comma.
Leaving words out
Words for repeated ideas cannot normally be left out in subordinating clauses. However, after if, when, while, until, unless and although, a pronoun subject and the verb be can often be dropped.

  • We will wait if necessary. (= … if it is necessary.)
  • When in Rome, do as Romans do. (= When you are in
    Rome, …)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.