Monday 2 May 2016

Gerunds (-ing forms) after prepositions

When we put a verb after a preposition, we normally use an -ing form, not an infinitive.
§  I am fond of watching movies. (NOT I am fond of to watch movies.) 
§  John was arrested for stealing a policeman's helmet. (NOT ... for to steal ...)
§  Can you talk without opening your mouth? 
§  I am thinking of writing a novel. 
§  You must abstain from talking to such people. 
§  We got the job finished by burning the midnight oil.
§  We look forward to hearing from you.
To as a preposition
To can be an infinitive marker (e.g. to work, to laugh). It can also be a preposition. When to is a preposition, it is followed by either a noun or the -ing form of a verb, but not normally by the infinitive. Common expressions in which this happens are look forward to, object to, used to, prefer to, get round to, in addition to.
Compare:
§  I look forward to his next visit. (noun)
§  I look forward to hearing from you. (NOT I look forward to hear from you.) 
§  I prefer the country to the city. (noun)
§  I prefer swimming to walking.
§  I am used to waiting for buses. (NOT I am used to wait for buses.) 
§  They objected to our entering the room. 
§  I object to working on Sundays.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.